Trying to get pregnant? You can start making positive changes to your diet & lifestyle now.
Thinking about starting a family? Make small changes to your diet and lifestyle now for a big impact on your baby-to-be in the future.
You may know about the importance of eating well and gaining the appropriate amount of weight while you’re pregnant, but did you realize that there are things you can do for your future baby before you even conceive? Taking care of your baby-to-be begins with taking care of yourself.
The first step is to check you’re at a healthy weight. As well as having an impact on your ability to conceive, your weight can influence a healthy pregnancy. Being overweight or underweight before you conceive may have an effect on the healthy growth and development of your future baby.
Approximately 40% of pregnancies are unplanned and you might be pregnant for days or weeks before you realize, so it’s a good idea to start preconception care early. Folic acid supplements will support your baby’s spine and brain development, which is crucial in the early days after conception (when you might not even know you’re pregnant).
The wise woman’s guide to preparing for a healthy pregnancy:
- Strive for a healthy weight.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet that’s rich in nutrients.
- Consider taking a folic acid vitamin, or multivitamin/mineral supplement after consulting with your healthcare professional. Emerging evidence suggests this can have a positive effect on fertility. It will also help your baby’s early development as soon as you do conceive.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol. There are no safe limits when it comes to drinking alcohol so it’s safest to cut it out completely.
- Limit high amounts of caffeine.